Substance Use Disorder(s) Services

General Program Information

The county can assist people with a chemical health assessment and treatment, if they:

  • Are a current county resident
  • Don’t have health insurance that covers chemical dependency treatment or the insurance plan has denied coverage
  • Meet the Minnesota State guidelines for income and household size

A chemical health assessment consists of:

  • A chemical dependency/drug evaluation
  • A determination if there is a need for chemical dependency/drug treatment and if so, the level of care needed

Applying for an Assessment

To apply for an assessment, applications can be done by:

  • Visit Community Services Customer Service desk during our business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 4:30 p.m.):
    204 Laurel Street
    Brainerd, MN 56401
  • Download and complete a Rule 25 Eligibility Application. Fax it to Chemical Health Intake at 218-824-1305 or email Nathan Bertram.
  • Complete a Rule 25 Application.

Documents Needed to Apply

After You Apply
Once Crow Wing County receives the application, it will be reviewed. If approved, the person will be given an authorization code along with a list of Assessment Providers (PDF). He/she can call the provider of their choice to set up an assessment.


The chemical dependency unit also does prescreenings for judicial commitment when they receive an examiner’s statement in support of a commitment from a medical doctor or psychiatrist who believes the person is a danger to himself or others due to his or her chemical use.

Additional Information

For more information call 218-824-1140 and ask for chemical dependency intake. You may also email Supervisor Nathan Bertram.

Vendor Information