Cash Programs

Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - DWP is a four-month program that provides services and supports to eligible families to help them move immediately to work rather than go on public assistance. The four months of DWP do not count towards the 60-month lifetime limit for the MFIP program, the state's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.

General Assistance (GA- GA helps Minnesotans with little or no income meet their basic needs. It offers a small monthly cash grant to people with serious illnesses, disabilities, or other issues that limit their ability to work. GA is "interim aid" to help while other sources of income are put in place.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - MFIP is Minnesota's program that assists low-income families with children to economic stability through work. The MFIP grant includes a cash grant, food assistance, and employment services. Parents must meet work rules immediately or their MFIP grant will be reduced.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - MSA provides monthly cash support to help meet basic living expenses, such as clothing, utilities, housing, or special medical diets. It is mainly for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).


  • Apply in-person. Applications can be submitted Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Certain Cash Assistance programs (MFIP and DWP, both family cash programs) typically require a face-to-face interview, unless you have been on one of those cash programs in the past 12 months. Those interviews are offered Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Interviews for other cash programs can be conducted as a scheduled interview over the telephone.
  • Apply online: ApplyMN is a simple, secure Web application that connects you with state and county services to help meet your and your family's basic needs.
  • Print an application and mail to or drop off our office at 204 Laurel Street, Brainerd, MN 56401

If you have questions you may contact Crow Wing County Community Services at 218-824-1250 or toll free at 888-772-8212.